- Determine the true value of the Estate, which excludes jointly held property, real property located outside of Canada, life insurance proceeds, RRIF's and RRSP's where a beneficiary was named.
- Shares of private corporations which require transfer do not need probate.
- Property registered in the older registry system does not require probate, nor does the first transfer of property of land brought into the Land Titles system.
- Motor vehicles can be transferred without probate.
- Court ordered settlements concerning the transfer of assets do not require the payment of probate fees.
- You may also wish to read my article, Why Probate a Will?
You may wish to refer to an article by AIM Funds Management Inc., "Probate planning to minimize estate costs".
Finally, you may also wish to refer to an article by AIM Funds Management Inc., "Death and Taxes".
Revised March 2015